Admiral: Nothing ‘sexy’ about OBL raid
By JUSTIN DUCKHAM
Talk Radio News Service
Admiral William McRaven, the officer who oversees U.S. Special Operations, gave a relatively ho-hum account Thursday of the raid on terrorist leader Osama bin Laden’s compound last year.
“From a military standpoint this was a standard raid and really not very sexy,” McRaven said during a press conference in Tampa, Florida. “
McRaven noted that the evening the mission into Pakistan was underway, there were 11 similar operations occurring in Afghanistan.
“The guys got in a helicopter, they flew to an objective, they took down the target, they got back on the helicopter and they flew home,” McRaven explained matter-of-factly.
The admiral’s remarks were in response to charges levied by Republican lawmakers that the Obama administration had shared classified information with Academy Award winning filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow, who is producing a movie about Seal Team Six and the bin Laden raid.
McRaven said that Special Operations had not yet spoken with Bigelow, but that they would be willing to since, as he put it, the details of the raid were not particularly sensitive.
Short URL: http://reportergary.com/?p=25040